Healthcare systems in low-income, middle-income countries (LMIC) often lack of medical appropriate technologies necessary to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of many curable disease.
It has been estimated that only the 13% of manufacturers of biomedical devices are located in LMIC.
High prices, inefficient local production and distribution, among other factors, are contributing to set back commercialization and availability of final products in low-resource settings. This issue has been recently defined as the last mile translation.
The full rationale of the WikiBioMed project can be found published in BMJ innovations:
Aufieri R, Picone S, Paolillo P. Collaborative development of open source-appropriate technologies: a way to reduce the global access gap? BMJ Innov 2015;1:37-38. http://innovations.bmj.com/content/1/2/37.full
References and suggested readings
- Belle J, Cohen H, Shindo N, Lim M, Velazquez-Berumen A, Ndihokubwayo JB, Cherian M. Influenza preparedness in low-resource settings: a look at oxygen delivery in 12 African countries. J Infect Dev Ctries 2010; 4(7):419-424
- Chao TE, Lo NC, Mody GN, et al. Strategies for last mile implementation of global health technologies. Lancet Glob Health 2014;2:e497–8.
- Chao TE, Mody GN. The impact of intellectual property regulation on global medical technology innovation. BMJ Innov 2015;1:49-50. http://innovations.bmj.com/content/1/2/49.full
- Howitt P, Darzi A, Yang G-Z, et al. Technologies for global health. Lancet 2012; 380:507–35.
- Liu L, Johnson HL, Cousens S, et al.; Child Health Epidemiology Reference Group of WHO and UNICEF. Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010 with time trends since 2000. Lancet. 2012;379(9832):2151-61.
- Sinha SR, Barry M. Health technologies and innovation in the global health arena. N Engl J Med 2011;365:779-82.
- WHO. World Health Assembly resolution WHA60.29. World Health Organization, May 2007. http://www.who.int/healthsystems/WHA60_29.pdf
- WHO. Local production and technology transfer to increase access to medical devices. Addressing the barriers and challenges in low- and middle-income countries. World Health Organization, 2012. http://www.who.int/medical_devices/1240EHT_final.pdf
- WHO. Compendium of innovative health technologies for low-resource settings 2011-2013. World Health Organization, 2014. http://www.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/108781/1/9789241564731_eng.pdf